View Single Post
Old 13th April 2018, 04:02 AM   #6
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The Kendit does not look particularly suspicious to me in the photo, but a close examination should tell you if it is real or dyed. Often the fungus isn't just on the surface of the wood. It should have some depth. So if you examine the inside of the sheath with a flashlight you should be able to see if the stripe goes through the wood.
With this morning's sunlight, I think could see the Kendit on one side of the inside at least. This is probably an encouraging sign.I will examine further in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I agree that the selut looks odd on this hilt. I would also remove it. Hopefully fitting it has not done any damage to the base of this hilt. It is a nice carving, but it does not appear particularly old to me. Carefully applied heat can often help is removing old glue so hopefully you will be able to get the selut off from the base of this hilt successfully.
I'm a little hesitant to make the attempt, as I'm worried about damaging both the selut and the hilt. I'll try to poke at this this weekend.

Thanks for all your comments David!

Thanks,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote