View Single Post
Old 18th September 2006, 12:36 PM   #18
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
I remembered the seller and emailed him. He got it from Adni about five years ago. I sent Adni a link to this thread and asked for more info. Will let you all know what he says.
Adni just responded.

"The origin is surely Batak and aside from one similar example I have presently at the site (interested? It makes a nice pair to the one already have), I can recall at least 2 more. The hilt form with the squatting human figurine style is clearly Batak, and we also see this style in their other swords that usually comes with brass fittings. The fretworks at the base of the blade also has similarities with other Batak swords. The shape of the blade and the sheath is where the confusion comes in. Geographically, the region Batak in central Sumatra has one large city, Medan and I can only suggest that this is maybe a variant of the Batak swords from the lesser known or populated tribes there. Not much else I can add I’m afraid."

I am getting the other one. Maybe some day I'll travel there and see these poeple myself.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote