View Single Post
Old 26th July 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A Very Rare Early 16th Century Small Alcove Cannon (Nischengeschütz)

Wrought iron and oak wood. Overall length 40.6 cm, barrel length 19.8 cm (including bent stick), cal. 25 mm, weight 4 kg.

That (now short) round barrel was originally part of a long wrought iron Nuremberg haquebut with a long iron grip stick made in ca. 1500. It got probably damaged in its early working life and, as a consequence, got shortened and restocked in oak in is present form during the Peasant Wars in 1523-5 (Nischengeschütz, small alcove cannon).

Believe it or not, it is fastened to the wood with three bolts and nuts. Screwing nuts have been around since at least the late 15th century.

I attach some photos taken 20 years ago. I do have a new digital camera now but for some reason or other the USB connection does not seem to fit my computer. As soon as I can make somebody get here and fix this I will post better images.

I also iclude images of a very similar barrel of ca. 1500 which is preserved in its original unaltered shape at the Bavarian Army Museum. These images are owed to Robert Brooker.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 26th July 2009 at 07:28 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote