View Single Post
Old 4th February 2013, 03:23 PM   #27
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Michael Blalock,
Mamluk Weapons. The point being that they got many designs from the Abaasids. The Abaasids may well have taken the design from the previous dynasty (Umayyad) however since the Abaasid were infatuated with "The Greeks" who knows?.... probably both influences. Certainly the whole lot influeced the Ottomans... so we see tantalising likenesses in the Topkapi etc.

On the subject of the spatulate tip sword like your museum photos yes there is part of the link. It is possible that it may have influenced the Old Omani Sayf insofar as hilt design (however more squat in size on the Omani since the blade is short) and that the other blades shown here in this thread which are almost exact copies of the Abaasid/Umayyid are linked to the Old Omani Sword.

I have to say however that no early spatulate tip Omani Sword was ever discovered. It is a peculiar twist since spatulates suddenly reappear in possibly the 18th C though I am personally not at all yet convinced about their provenance thus the TVV thread Kattara For Comments in which we continue to meander..

Where I think the Mamluke re appears in the Red Sea is exactly where you portay them i.e. Saudia and possibly a spill over to the Yemen.

What a gem it was to run into this as I was sweeping through the early threads... plodging about in the basement.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Salaams all Note to Forum . In the attached post I made reference to early spatulate tip not being found on Omani swords. This was not correct since Omani Battle Swords were in fact round spatulate tipped... a fact brought out on Kattara for comments after a lengthly debate. # 314 http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10455 and comparing it with the Abassiid.

Currently the situation is in some interesting territory since it is realised how the museum sword in this thread # 11 (last picture), is virtually the same hilt as the sword at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16205 and is so like the Omani Battle Sword and the Mamluke sister to it in # 11 (second from last picture). (Shown below.)

It may also transpire that the influence which brought the Omani Straight Sayf dancing sword and curved Kattara hilt and blade form is staring right at us.

Further - that the sword held by the man (shown below) is a similar blade to the museum blade and clearly Mamluke and that the Sword in the Wallace is connected in what I would describe as a Royal or Sheikhs style being very ornate.. sporting a German blade with added Islamic script and a magnificent scabbard.

It is interesting also that we almost stumbled upon this series of linkages already but that it was overlooked and has only just surfaced because of Swedegreens thread and follow up questions by Khanjar 1. The goal, however, is scored by Forum and a big breakthrough surely ensues.

Indeed the entire prospect of a redrawn hypothsis is on the table linking Abbasiid, Mamluke, Ottoman, Yemeni and Omani sword styles down the ages.

The prospect is very exciting.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 4th February 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote