View Single Post
Old 7th July 2016, 01:31 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Not disagreeing, but just curious.
While the scabbard is certainly not the defining factor in identification or assessment of a sword, aren't these 'baldric' type mounts mindful of the Arabian sa'if noted as Hahdramauti by Elgood? as well as what seems like the aghrab in the scabbard throat mount. These mounts were noted to have been produced in Hyderabad in India, and there seem to have been profound connections over considerable time.

If I have understood correctly, earlier blades are much stouter as with this one, and certainly the 'sickle' marks suggest Styria, of the key suppliers to Eastern Europe. Interestingly, Ostrowski ("The Polish Sabre") it seems notes the chevron style motif on grips to karabela examples (I think Lvov, but cant recall for sure).

The linear motif using smaller 'sickle' (hogs back) arcs seems to have occurred in some cases on swords in India, and via unclear associations appear on certain Caucasian blades (Ataghi?). I have seen these on some Khevsur pranguli. I have always considered influences from India may have been reflected in the Caucusus in degree.

Is it possible this might be something produced in India, perhaps for Arabia (regions under Ottoman influence) and recalling Eastern European hilt style ? According to Elgood, the Arabs did highly regard Hungarian blades and swords.
Jim,

An interesting breakdown.

I have seen similar sword types, in so far as form rather than specific detail, in Yemeni circles too.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote