Thread: Where in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th January 2016, 12:50 AM   #4
Helleri

Iguanas are from the Americas. Mostly South America, but there are two species as far north as Southern California (the Desert Iguana and the Chuckwalla). Point being that they are not native to Africa.

Also snakes largely have imbricate keeled cyloid top scales. Their ventral scales are always much larger then show here and are primarily single column. Separate and rectangular scales are more of a lizard thing.

The thing is while they are neatly organized. They are separate rectangular and not mucronate. Which makes me think not a monitor lizard. And you can see that on some individual scales are these small ridges running the same direction as the long axis of the scale...Those things combined makes me think crocodile (picture it as re-hydrated and not all stretched out or smoothed down from handling). And for the area of the world that may be likely. I could be wrong. But if you google image search "Hatchling Crocodile" you will see small well ordered separate rectangular scales, with tiny ridges in the right direction, and even the random black on tan speckling is right.

Last edited by Helleri; 14th January 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote