Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2017, 12:29 AM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am really glad to see this topic brought back, as in such a fascinating and unresolved field of study as Arabian swords, too often a certain complacency seems to prevail.

Perhaps Elgood as he wrote in 1994, well described some conditions which seem to have been prevalent until those times. Fortunately those who have entered the field since have been diligent in trying to find answers and resolve some of these 'mysteries'.

Elgood wrote on page 15 ("Arms and Armour of Arabia"...., "...there are a number of Arab sword types that are loosely referred to as nimcha or saif, which are usually attributed to the Yemen by collectors and cataloguers on the basis that the weapons of the area are not well known and they are unlikely to be challenged on the attribution. There is no reliable published guide to the various types of Arab sword and some of the North African hilts are said to be Arabian".

He goes on to talk about the 'Hadramaut' type of sabres (2.8; 2.10) which he says were often produced in Hyderabad, India as there was a constant interaction with mercenary forces from there who went to and from India.
I have seen these, with repousse silverwork hilt of karabela style and distinctly Arab mounts remarkably like these with the (reluctantly described)"barber pole" spiral wrap on the scabbard. They had the hollow ground, European cavalry type blades, highly polished.

Hadhramaut is of course, collectively a region of 'the Yemen' in degree, and again, here we see the broad sweep of attributions which we see now being reconsidered. With what are most compelling observations concerning Bukhara and these swords with their influences in Yemen. As I consider the apparently Bukharen and Caucasian use of this 'spiral wrap ' affectation, it seems more likely that these swords were mounted in southern Arabia, and in the Yemeni sphere.
However, certain patterns, such as the 'wheel' design in the motif on some of the examples I saw may reflect India influence, but could well have simply been another nuanced device mixed into the overall motif in Yemen.

Although these 'Yemeni/Bukharen' swords do have the open and cuffed type hilt resembling the Omani sayfs (often formerly termed 'kattara'), they do seem to be an independent form which evolved in some limited religious and diplomatic channels between these regions. It is of course tempting to think that perhaps certain contact between Oman and Yemen might have brought certain affectations together concerning sword forms, but much more evidence is needed. Naturally the contact between Yemen and Zanzibar is well noted, so this well could have provided such conduit .

Regarding the markings on the example shown in #25, it is most interesting to consider the blade possibly having Algerian connections. Again, the contact between North Africa and Arabia is well established, so such possibility is of course quite plausible. The markings themselves seem to be exaggerated examples of such triple stamps from Italian context (often termed 'twig' marks) and often copied by native artisans. These seem much heavier of course, but may be elaboration in interpretation.
In conversations regarding North African swords over the years, it has been emphatically suggested to me that the sabres of Morocco (often termed 'nimcha' some years ago, were actually Arabian.

These same type hilts (with the distinct nock under pommel) are also found on these 'nimcha' termed 'Zanzibar' versions. I recall years back when many of these 'nimcha' (with ring or loop on guard, pictured below) were found in Yemen, and were said to be from Zanzibar.
As we recall, the Omani open hilt sayf was well represented in Zanzibar.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th June 2017 at 12:45 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote