View Single Post
Old 13th January 2014, 02:42 PM   #157
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Dear Ibrahiim,

Yes I do mean the Kastane pommel and grip is that of Lion's face...whether in the Yali lion-headed (simha-vyala), LEO(lion)gryph or just plain lion it is unknown...it is not Makara.

The Kastane pommel spits nothing from its mouth...why is it in your eyes a Makara when nothing spits from its mouth despite you claiming it does? The quillons and knuckle bows do not spew forth from the Pommel's mouth.

The Kastane pommel is to my eye more the Sardula or the Yali Simha-Vyala, a more lion like creature but when there is a Makara spewing forth a knuckle bow with another head the same as the pommel, the Leogryph comes to mind based on the ancient ivory carvings in the Afghanistan museum that show the Leogryph coming forth from a Makara's mouth.

The Lion in most important in Hindu cutlure from top to bottom of the land. While I will not weigh dieties against dieties for importance, the pommel is of Lion type, the Lion being highly regarded througout time within these lands..

Here is a very good representation of a Hindu Lion guardian from Nepal;
http://stockfresh.com/image/566878/h...-guardian-lion
I am sure you can see such a likeness that it is uncanny.

If you think the lion is of little relevence, please read this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigiriya

Gavin

Salaams SwordsAntiqueWeapons;

At your first reference You are right in considering (as I have done) the lions in Nepal which if you look carefully you will see that they do not have peacock tails nor do they emit deities all around. I have included a further picture which shows the tails of these beasts which are entirely of a different traditional icon... The Lion. Not the Makara. Note the tails!

At your second reference there is a small note ONLY viz; Quote "There was a sculpted lion's head above the legs and paws flanking the entrance, but the head broke down many years ago" Unquote. Lions Gate though relatively important to Sinhalese culture in no way overshadows the vital detail of the Makara... They are entirely different issues.

The business of deciding if the Kastane has a Makara or Lion hilt is vital in the understanding of its origins..and I have a duty to prove the truth irrespective of spurious counter claims from whatever quarter. It is a well known fact that dealers in Kastane rather than grasp the nettle over this conundrum of Makara versus Lion prefer to "sit on the fence" in their description and would rather put Makara or Lion ..When in fact it is a purely Makara deity.

The history books, traditional, cultural and religious backup are all present in my posts ... It is proven in my opinion; Makara emit deities... it is their role. The other deities including the crocodile human faced deity on the hand guard and other serpents ~possibly miniature Makaras and Nagas issued from the mouth of the hilt "subject" with the peacock tail and adorning the cross guard and pseudo quillon ends (Vagra). It is a Makara Hilt. If it was a lion would it have a peacock tail? No.

You are simply looking at this through another prism. It would seem to be rather cloudy.

I have backed up my arguement with solid facts drawn from many angles using pictures and detail across a swathe of structures from art form, literature, mythological inclusion, history, archeology, artefacts, jewelery, religion, tradition and ethnographic arms... yet still you do not agree. because you think it doesn't look like it.. and you appear to see something else. What about the precise argument offered here?

Perhaps you think that the hilt is of some other mysterious form? Moreover, having based your assumptions on entirely the wrong conclusions you may never join up the wires because your structure cannot match the theory of how this hilt was designed onto the weapon or by whom or when.

The Karvara kingdom would have to have reduced the Makara to near insignificance to have it overtaken by the Yali and some strange maneuvering to have the wrong mythical beast emit minor monsters ...and to give the wrong creature a peacock tail??.. it makes no sense.

Perhaps you may not have considered the religious inclusion of the Vagra in the design of the pseudo quillon structures? Do you not think that being blessed with Vagra finials that this Hilt would therefor need to be religiously correct?

My advice to you is to read the thread again.

Picture below in the same Nepalese square of the Lions with ...Lions Tails. Incidentally do you see any other deities being spewed forth from their mouths...?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 13th January 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote