View Single Post
Old 20th June 2007, 11:24 AM   #57
ganjawulung

Default Solonese (Surakarta) Sheath with Sunggingan

Dear All,

Disturbing you again with pictures... This time, a 20th century Solonese (Surakarta) sheath with "sunggingan" and a brand new keris tangguh 21th century of Madura. I hope you are not fed-up with pictures and pictures...

"Sunggingan" is a specific ornamenting tradition, usually for "wayang kulit" or puppet-leather. But during the older era of Solonese King Paku Buwono (especially during the reign of Paku Buwono X, 1893-1939), "sunggingan" also used in ornamenting the keris-warangka, or keris-sheath.

"The art of sunggingan" in keris-sheath developped in Solo, even until nowadays (but not in the neighbouring city of Yogyakarta). There are some kinds of motives in sheath-sunggingan, which usually bear the symbol (logo) of Paku Buwono X, and also the other motives such as "kala" or "raseksa" (giant's face) like these pictures below. This sheath's sunggingan, bear the motive of "modang" (I don't have the English word of this name), and was painted in my sheath by a Jakartanese (but Solonese origin), Mas Amien.

The red "pendhok" called "kemalo red". Kemalo, in the older Paku Buwono era, was not a common paint, but rather "traditional paint", natural paint. There are many colours of kemalo, such as red kemalo (for high rank officer), green kemalo (for 'penewu' officer, or middle rank officer). And there are also black kemalo for lower officer.

The Madurese keris, was made by the young keris-maker Zulhan (2006). Although the style of this blade is not true Madurese, but rather Mataramese and Solonese style. The dapur, is Sengkelat of 13 luks. It is pamorless, or in keris term we call it "kelengan" (all-black). The iron? It was from old and unused flatcar rail-track from an old sugar-cane field in East Java. Probably from 18th century, or even older...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote