View Single Post
Old 20th May 2007, 03:17 AM   #33
ganjawulung

Default Style and the Authority

The world of painting, maybe the right analogy for keris, I agree with David. It is difficult to copy the style, even not patented. And I'm still thinking with Raden's statement that "to patent is a part of self-campaign.."

You know already, in the old days the authority of such campaign was not at the hand of the empus, but the king's will. So now there is a kind of "cultural gap" (I don't know the right term): who is the authority of such campaign now? The empu himself, the king? The president? If the King. Which king? King of Yogya? King of Solo? King of Mlalaysia?

About "certain amount of money" from the UN. What I've heard is: UN won't give the fund to a state which once had received such aid from the UN. In this matter, Indonesia had received certain amount of dollar from the UN three years before keris was announced as the intangible heritage.. from Indonesia. Three years before, wayang also recognized as the intangible heritage from Indonesia. Malaysia too. (If I'm not mistaken: mahyong. Pls correct me if I'm wrong). So? No money for whatever Indonesian keris body, SNKI, whatever. No money. Still complicated problem...
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote