View Single Post
Old 27th February 2024, 03:49 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a remarkable and esoteric topic Capn! and thank you for adding the alternate views on the viability and restrictions that were at hand in these times toward them.

I would agree on your take on allowance (or simply overlooking) the use of these small knives on vessels as important personal utilitarian tools. As with virtually any object that can be classified as a 'weapon of opportunity', it is impossible to ban or restrict everything.

I have always thought that these folding blade knives were distinctly associated with sailors, hence the term 'jack knife'. But I guess its more complicated than that. The term jack, which I thought referred to sailors (cf. 'jack tar) but apparently the term 'jack' is much older and broader, from middle English to mean a common fellow. There was the old term 'jakke' also for 'a mechanical device', and folding blade knives appear to have far older origins.

The descriptions of the character of these knives, as in this excellent example
with the augmenting tool features such as the spike. Tools/weapons on ships were multi featured as utility use was the primary function in real time, while as required, they were weapons. The 'cutlass' was probably used about 90% of the time as a tool for clearing deck debris, as well as ashore to clear brush. The serrations on the backs of blades as well as the teeth in the axes are good examples.

While collecting 'jack knives' is a genre of its own and of course these are seldom deemed weapons (despite the classification in the security protocols of today)...however these would have certainly had the ability for such use in close quarters as on ships.

Wonderful context alongside that perfect example dirk also!!!
VERY nice Capn!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote