View Single Post
Old 29th September 2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Miguel,
I thank you for posting this example, and inspiring me to learn more on these!
I should point out that finding an exact match is often futility in these kinds of ethnographic weapons. While many of these were indeed for use, only limited numbers were actually used as projectiles in certain instances, but I am not yet clear on these stipulations. I think Chris Spring did the best job of detailing much of this.

In most cases, there was a degree of 'latitude' in these weapons as far as the profile and elements of the blade shapes. In many, particularly those used in more 'ceremonial' situations, there can be a great deal of artistic license applied. Many of these were worn by young men in events where they tried to attract girls in potential courting etc and in cases where these served similarly as processional or bearing arms they would of course be understandably 'embellished'.

In most cases we can develop reasonably plausible estimations on the tribal or regional provenance by comparable decoration, styling, and often the grip materials and wrap etc. We then must keep in mind certain diffusion of these into contiguous groups.

I went through a good number of the most well known references and did not find any overly corresponding examples, but as always, research never really ends! nor does our learning
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply and would agree entirely with your comments. If you look at Abrahiims reply the link he has shown is the Mathers museum which shoes a knife of similar design and decoration which is one of the two that I found. As you say research never ends and I will continue to keep my eyes open fo further clues.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote