View Single Post
Old 7th September 2008, 05:02 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Fernando---yes I believe that firearms DO have a place here. My collection over the years has had may firearms of different types in it, but now, due mainly to space available, is not mostly composed of blades. I do still have one item which compliments my collection of Arabian Peninsula blades. It is an old 577/450 cal Martini Henry Rifle, which is decorated in silver. This item came from Oman.
I do keep an eye out for firearms still, and if something particularly took my fancy and was not at a crazy price, I could well be tempted.
There is not (as far as I know) a Forum of this type for old firearms, though if there is, perhaps someone can publish the details.
Maybe a further sub heading on this Forum??
Pics attached.

Outstanding example of the Martini-Henry!! and actually one of my favorites as far as vintage military rifles.These can still be found at reasonable prices (beware of growing number of these of questionable integrity exiting Afghanistan from what I have heard).
There is most definitely a place where antique firearms can be discussed....right here! no need for a subforum as this forum is intended to provide a place for comprehensive general discussion of arms and armour from early to end of the 19th century, sorry Chevalier The 'modern' firearms, while exciting to shooting enthusiasts ,are better discussed in a more specialized medium not focused on historical weapons.
As Fernando has noted, modern firearms sometimes present a decidedly different connotation, one that many of us choose to not recall, and prefer to focus on the historical examples.

Fearn, excellent reference to the Trabuco Canyon story! Thank you!
I always thought 'Trabuco Canyon' had a most romantic ring to it, and here is a good example of the contrast between antique and modern.....imagine if a more familiar weapon was lost and we named it "12 Guage Canyon"
Just not the same.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 7th September 2008 at 05:42 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote