View Single Post
Old 29th June 2009, 07:02 PM   #24
fearn

You know, Kronckew, I was just thinking about that video. Since I have an HI WWII khukuri (the one in the video), can I say that those cuts are harder than they look, because the blade is so wide? This guy is impressive.

That said, I'm not totally convinced, because I have done most of the work he shows (onions, peppers, pineapple, salmon) with a Chinese cleaver that was too dull to slice a tomato. As I said, I need to try slicing with a khukuri just to see how well it does with a draw cut.

The other thing I've found with HI khukuris is that some of them come with a long, thin edge. This is great for cutting light stuff, but it leads to some impressive dings when you try cutting wood, let alone bone. That's actually one of the things I'm not sure about in martial terms. If you put an axe-like edge on a khukuri so that it will go through a WWI helmet (to fit the legend), will it be able (for example) to cut someone's throat by slicing? That's what I'm hoping to test, when I get a chance. Not by cutting throats, but thanks to Steve Ferguson, I've got khukuris with two different edge geometries, and I'm hoping to do some comparison testing. I know how they do on wood, but how do they do in the kitchen? I'll let you know when I get the time to experiment.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote