View Single Post
Old 25th January 2018, 09:30 PM   #34
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I asked the question because I felt that I needed to understand the reason, or reasons, why two experienced people should select the post #6 knife as "better" than all others.
Hello Alan, like said already in my previous response, the words "better" & "older" I use in comparison to the three pieces at the right from Ian in post #1 with the one in post #6, I've handled some pieces similar to the 3 (let me call them "tourist" dagger) from Ian, they look nice but all is very cheap worked and I doubt that a dagger like this is usable.
The other shown examples seems to be very well worked, no question, the T-spine blades are well worked from the view to look at a usable dagger, a very nice to look at and for sure workable weapon. The handle is an intricate small work of art. But again I think that the dagger in post #6 is older and was for sure intended for use.

Quote:
Why is it "better"?
Because, and here I speak for my own taste/sensation, it's a used ethnograhic dagger!

Quote:
What makes it "better"?

I am nearly sure that it will have a very well worked (maybe laminated) blade, the signs of use.

Quote:
What does "better" mean?
My personal taste, again the curiosity to see and work at the blade, the clearly signs of use.

I hope to have answered your questions in a way you want to know.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote