View Single Post
Old 6th April 2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Steve,
Thank you so much for the response and for adding this intriguing detail on this extremely esoteric topic. Congratulations on the book you have authored! This topic,as well can be imagined, has been little attended to in most reference material concerning weaponry and general history. It sounds as if you have done some definitive research and I am personally looking forward to learning more on this, has the book been published yet?

I am very much inclined to agree with you on the placement of the three holes, and it would seem that if noise making were the purpose, there would have been variations in shape or number, much as in strategically placed designs for this purpose.
The tremendous forces of superstition and religious beliefs were well established among the general populus in medieval times and into the 18th century. What we know today as popular folklore was profoundly believed dogma in those times, and with anything as dramatic as this kind of an instrument of death, these applications seem well placed.

Interestingly, I have seen a native execution sword from Cameroon which was of course, probably 19th century or even later, but which had the three holes at the tip of the blade. There have been blades in other African context which appear to have been trade blades in Saharan regions which had markings reflecting similar on some of these 'swords of justice'. I always wonder if perhaps colonial influence might have passed on these kinds of details into native culture.

Also, on another thread with a medieval sword with a very old blade, there were markings which resemble those seen on swords used by the 'Free Judges' of the Vehdic courts, usually associated with Westphalia. Were these tribunals actually responsible for executions using these swords, or were these simply bearing swords representing authority as I have understood ?

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote