View Single Post
Old 12th October 2012, 02:25 AM   #27
Bangkaya

The term tinegre/tenegre is confusing indeed. It usually is associated with swords from Panay, but I believe it is a termed coined by outsiders not indigenous to the island. Throughout my travels in Antique, Aklan, and Capiz I have yet to meet someone that knows what a tinegre/tenegre is. I've visited many panday forges, palengke stalls, fishermen, farmers, etc. and most would look at me with bit of confusion. When shown a photo of a tinegre/tenegre, most would say, "oh...talibung!" Or "sanduko" in a few places in Capiz. In Iloilo, the response would be the same or "binangon." In Madurriao, Iloilo I was able to find one old panday that actually knew the term tinegre/tenegre. He was very specific saying that it was just a fighting talibung or binangon with the traditionally carved bakunawa pommel, at which point he started pointing at the teeth. When asked if it was an Ilonggo term, he said he believes it's a name that "outsiders call our swords."

Which brings us to the etymology of the word "tinegre." The root word is tigre which is tiger in tagalog, cebuano, and ilonggo. "Tinegre" is "as a tiger" or "tiger-like." This explains why the the old panday pointed to the teeth on the bakunawa face on the pommel since the teeth look very much like those on a tiger.

This was also explained to me by an old escrimador (who is no longer with us) that was not from the island of Panay. He said that was what they called the bolos of the Ilonggos. But he couldn't remember if it was because the pommel was like the face of a tiger or that the blade was like a tiger's tooth.

Hopefully, this clarifies things. I still use the term "tinegre" when referring to Ilonggo swords with the bakunawa pommel, whether it is binangon, talibong, pinuti, ginunting, etc. But then again, I'm not Ilonggo so I consider myself an outsider as well.

Regards,
Bankaya
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote