View Single Post
Old 16th November 2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

THE CEREMONIAL OR FANCY ONES BELONGED TO THE CHIEF OR CEO.

JUST MY THOUGHTS ON IT AS I DON'T REMEMBER IT FROM A PREVIOUS TRIBAL LIFE [/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Vandoo, thats fantastic! I never thought of the chief as a CEO! Modern corporate tribalism.......its a jungle out there!!!!!

Excellent topic Bill. It seems that the weapon/tool duality has existed from prehistoric times as tools themselves became weapons in many cases, and this prevailed in tribal situations, in fact to present times. In most cases as mentioned, the sickle or weapons similar such as the parabolic shotel could often have had agrarian use, as well as the machete which is more commonly seen in West African regions and regions of dense vegetation or forest.

It is my impression that predominantly in many African regions, swords are considered ceremonial, while bows, arrows, spears, clubs and axes predominate as weapons of tribesmen, differing widely by tribe and region of course. Obviously in many cases such as in North Africa in the Sahara and Sudan, swords are typically both elements of costume and secondary weapons that are indeed intended for use, and would not be used as a tool.Swords are also found as secondary weapons to the south, such as the seme' of the Maasai and these may be used at times for chopping as the machete.However it seems many of the unusual Congo swords are usually more ceremonially or dress inclined though combat usable, and again, would not be used for utility.

While swords seem to remain traditional elements of costume and capable of intended use, they seem unlikely to find use as tools, except in the case of sickles or machets as noted above. Naturally many forms of axe and especially most forms of knife, would be likely to be used in a utility sense.

When all is considered, virtually anything can become a 'weapon of opportunity' ..on the news as I am writing this it was reported that a guy tried to commit a robbery...'armed' with a stapler!

In combat, "anything goes"! and when one is working and a certain tool needed is not available...same rule! I cant say how many times I've seen old bayonets used to dig up weeds.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote