Thread: Takouskara
View Single Post
Old 27th July 2021, 11:25 AM   #27
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur View Post
Ok!

A last question, on the two swords that you posted: how the blades are fixed to the hilts?

The solar pommel is atypical but it doesnt mean that it is European... I wonder which kind of comments I would have received if the first sword posted was not published in Hales book...
The first sword is atypical but its of a construction that's recognisable for takouba and kaskara. We can debate the exact region its from but with or without the Hale example its quite clear its in the same family as other takouba.

The shape of the second pommel of course doesn't mean it has to be European, I am also a believer that there are always unique examples... but its the overall construction as well as the shape. I would be happy to be wrong actually!

Good question on the blades being fixed to the hilts! Both those swords were owned by friends, you can see on the one there is a tang extending through, the second picture is another I used to own where there was some damage to the pommel and you can see there is a tang but it is not peened through the end, and a final one where there is a cast tang "nub" but no actual tang peened.

I think then its a mix, some of them are fixed using resin or some sort of glue and some are peened. All the ones I examined personally there was zero movement in the blade. The third option is if somehow they were cast directly onto the tangs...
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote