View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:37 PM   #51
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Hello Jim,

The use in combination with Koranic script is most interesting and it seems there were no barriers on blades in using any of these marks singly or in multiples or all together. Thus I searched for evidence from the Religious script viewpoint and although the dots were not always used they certainly sometimes were.. I suspect their presence indicates a particularly important verse however what the exact meaning was meant to convey...protection from evil spirits or as some form of added sentinel or simply a good luck omen it is difficult to be certain.. diffusion in use across the different artefacts seems proven and below I have two forms ; one on Ceramic and the other on Islamic script.
On the tile is the clear three dot symbol of Tamberlane on a Turkish ceramic accompanied by the elusive second element of Tamerlanes marker... tiger stripes.

On the script and geometric covers of a rare pair of document covers at page 30 of TRM TAREQ RAJEB MUSEUMs 1994 DOCUMENT ...the actual contents being on page 31 which comprise Al-Shihabs Sayings of THE PROPHET(PBOH) written in Valencia 1172 AD. THE 3 DOTS in this case appearing just off the main page but seemingly guarding it. Notice also that the outer most border of the covers comprises a complete band of figure 3 and figure 5 dots...thus possibly signifying a kind of sentinel or guard line protecting the entire folder and inner document.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote