View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:39 AM   #48
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Well noted, and I think what is being observed are the various perceptions toward these distinct occurrences of the gold parasol on certain very high quality Indian blades.

There are suggestions that the parasol mark was indicative of the finest Persian blade makers for Royal patrons, and that this mark indicates Royal ownership or indeed for presentation deserving such recognition.
The blade in the link also carries the Assad Allah cartouche, which of course aligns with the suggestion regarding Persian blade makers. Along with that is the beduh square, which brings the character of this blade into the talismanic perspective which is themed in Ibrahiims observation.

The parasol as being discussed, can also have talismanic properties being symbolized (still in its Royal connotation) in that it is of course a protective device in character, in addition to its auspicious meaning representing in effect the 'dome of heaven'.

In many examples of the parasol marking the three dot device is included at the base of the handle, also the dangling fringe dots from the parasol dome are typically three on each side.

HELLO Jim ..I note the following thread here on EAA Library as full of detail on the PARASOL on MUGHAL weapons. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7165

In addition I add this dagger with Cartouche and Parasol as also of Royal linkage although in many cases not necessarily owned by the Emperor(BUT THIS ONE WAS SHAH JAHANs) but perhaps more his insignia denoting fine quality; probably made in a Royal Workshop. (The larger picture from the thread at para 1 at # 7 by RAND.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 2nd February 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote