View Single Post
Old 8th October 2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Decades ago when I was enthralled with the Charge of the Light Brigade, and Bengal Lancers and things British Raj, I was acquiring various lances of the cavalry units. If I recall correctly I acquired a pair of lances which were about this length and had bulbous leaden weights at the base. Im not sure of the size, but they could well have been the size of a small cannon ball.
These I understand were 'pig sticking' or hunting lances used by the British officers in India (they also developed polo in similar activities). An additional 'sport' they practiced in honing thier skills with the lance was called 'tent pegging' in which the rider used these lances to uproot the pegs in camp tents, which probably evolved out of tomfoolery. but still used considerable skill.
I think further research in these avenues might reveal more. If I recall (its been about 30 years) the book "Sword, Lance and Bayonet" I think by Hopkinson may have data. It was the benchmark for works by Wilkinson and Robson and I think written based on work by Bosquet (I think). I dont have any of these with me so hope this is some help.

All the best,
Jim

P.S. visions of these guys in India with pith helmets and jodhpuhrs with riding boots in the '30s.

Hi Jim,

Thanks mate, I'll have a google and see i I can find them.
Cheers
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote