Thread: Appreciation
View Single Post
Old 28th August 2010, 02:33 PM   #95
Bill M

This Joshua Bell experiment continues to haunt me. I was talking recently with a well-known psychiatrist about this event. He said that one of the biggest factors influencing our behavior is environment. A huge difference in a subway and a concert hall. He was not at all surprised that Joshua Bell was mostly ignored. Obviously people are thinking of other things and usually intentionally ignoring buskers and panhandlers.

But he made a very interesting observation. Other than some people who recognized Bell, the one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother had to pull him away, but the entire time the boy was watching the violinist. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

I will be 67 soon. A few years ago I decided to make a conscious effort to relax more often and enjoy life. My wife, Anne, is a constant joy. She has this childlike quality to stop for a rose, a pebble, a sunset, things that I had blocked out.

I used to push her along like the mothers above, but now, I stop and respect her interest -- whole new worlds open.

"Verily I say unto you, Except ye turn, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the Kingdom of Heaven."
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote