View Single Post
Old 11th August 2013, 12:01 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Of course you're right Stu. My son was too trusting, no doubt about it, and he got bitten.

However, the problem is not just because of scumbag buyers. It is in my opinion a Paypal problem. When we accept a Paypal payment, we do not know what card company that Paypal account is linked to.

I know a very large number of street front retailers and service providers here in Australia, and many, if not most simply will not accept an AMEX card payment. The reason for this is not only the commission charged by AMEX, but also the propensity of AMEX to back their clients' claims against all sellers.

A claim by a buyer can be on grounds other than simply non-receipt of goods, and it seems that AMEX will back their clients under all circumstances.

I myself do not like on-line auctions, I never sell in them, and I only buy very, very occasionally, mostly if it is something I know because I sold it originally. I do not understand many of the intricacies of the on-line auction world, but I do believe that if Paypal is obliged to comply with a card company's policies, the person who requests a Paypal payment should know what card company he is ultimately dealing with, as it seems to me that in this type of transaction Paypal is only acting as an agent for the card company.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote