View Single Post
Old 19th December 2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much Ariel for elaborating on this. I wish I had Emma's book at hand, but I was not among those brought with me in the bookmobile.
I think your interpretations from her books have been one of the vital denominators here in better understanding these Caucasian weapons and thier often key influences in so many other regions.

The illustration plate from Kovac's book is most telling, and as I mentioned I had never heard of the 'Transylvanian knot'. As I understand the curious sigil type device on the left and the unidentified and presumably bird figure at bottom are elements of the 'TK'. What I am wondering is how the bird figures in, and what the term itself applies to. It seems like most talismanically applied devices or images have some sort of history or traditional origin.
I am wondering if perhaps the 'TK' term derives from the often colorful and mysterious terms used in Caucasian parlance to describe these adopted markings and symbols, such as the 'gurda', 'ters maymal' and kaldam?

Are the words or terms inscribed in the bannerlike motif in that same plate, but above the images described included collectively in the 'TK' term, or are they simply included in the plate as markings? I am wondering what these words signify, makers name or an invocation?

I know very inquisitive, but you happen to not only have these references, but the language skills and contacts pertinant in using them. I would be most grateful for your further perspective on this questions, as I mentioned the one regarding those inscribed words having been perplexing for years in my ever open cases

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote