View Single Post
Old 30th September 2010, 01:01 PM   #2
M ELEY

Default Hello Alexander

I'm no expert, so will leave the voting to those more knowledgible. I would like to say that this is an astounding naval piece, with rare fouled anchor and balled guard. From my understanding, so-called pillow pommels such as the one found on yours are closer dated to the very end of the 18th century, so dating more like 1795-1810 period. Obviously British, and as far as manufacture, hard to say. Many of the pieces attributed to Birmingham were, in fact, made in London and elsewhere, as Birmingham was the center for many merchants who bought the products off local smiths, cutlers, and craftsmen before putting their own name on the piece as if they had made it, which they had not. This was also a common practice for guns of the period. If a repair was needed, the owner would bring the gun back to the "frontman" in Birmingham, if the repair was minor he did it, if more was needed, he shipped it off to one of his vendors who repaired it and sent it back. The scabbard on yours looks very new. Is it a repair/replacement or just in immaculate condition?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote