View Single Post
Old 28th January 2008, 04:54 AM   #21
A. G. Maisey

With respect to the blade, blades tend to be made in accordance with the type that dominates in the area where they are made. Keris makers in, say, Tuban on Jawa's north coast did not make blades that looked like blades from Central Jawa. Same with this one of yours. To be sure I'd want to go through the rigmarole I outlined previously, but taking into account the additional information you have just given, and if the hilt is the type I described, I think you've probably got a Blambangan keris, far eastern tip of Jawa. The pendok is a ringin. It is probable that the original gandar rotted and needed replacement, and the best they could do was a pendok.

I say "Blambangan", because Blambangan blades, also Bantam blades, and the typical big Bali blades all share certain characteristics, one of which is the blumbangan---don't get confused by the blum and the blam:- the blumbangan is the picitan, Blambangan is a place.

As to a mendak, well, I don't really know. The keris of this type that I have seen in original condition have never had either mendak or uwer, they've been just the handle with nothing.But that is also true of the majority of old Balinese keris I have seen in unrestored condition.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote