View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 03:03 PM   #23
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
No, not a mistake. Corfecão, Borca (Barkah) and Sibo (As Sib) are equally triangular.
The one in Sibo aleady existed when the Potuguese arrived, quoted by them as having been built by the 'Arabios'.
Corfecão had 26 mts. in its longer side an pentagonal bastions in the vertexes. In the center, a circular tower, which protected a water well. The garrizon was formed by a Lascarin capitain and 23 soldiers.
Salaams fernando...Glad to hear that... I am on a project next to Barka Fort for a month and Seeb is near my appartment. Corfecan may be a bit more difficult but I shall endeavor to raise pictures of the current instalations. You refer to the Fort Jesus which is entirely described here as Portuguese though changed hands later...The Fort at Bahrain is also Portuguese. Forts were not reclassified Omani Forts because of some religious decision but perhaps since some were either largely or totally rebuilt... I mean for example the fort at Bahla is an Omani Fort but was built by the Persians ...originally.

What I want to know is who was involved in either the design or rebuilding in each case and when was each one modified so that a precise picture can be presented. Such was the deterioration that in some cases the entire surrounding triangular wall ...e.g. at Barka has vanished; incorporated into the surrounding old houses construction which can be seen ...and I shall photograph those exposed walls next week..I am fascinated that 3 forts were essentially identical; Seeb, Corfecan and Barka.

It can be said that Bahla is totally reconstructed and was in such bad condition that no cannon of any size would have been used from inside it...as it would have brought the fort crashing down with the vibrations...

There are differing types of reconstruction down the ages;
1. Preparing the forts for cannon.
2. Running repairs say after heavy rains or part collapse...
3. The third type of renovation is because of tourism requirements.

My view is that the outer surrounding walls need to be repaired...reclaimed..and that a complete and true picture be assembled as to what cannons were at which Forts ...moreover who built the installations and when...The record book can then be retuned..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote