View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
... the Bangkinang was developed in answer to the Portuguese rapier, mainly for use on horse-back (read 'pony-back'). So it was straight (no eloeks/waves) and concentrated more on steel content than pamor/damascene patterns). Also, the Bangkinang did not have a tonggong/back-bone). Last of all, the bedor/tang had a flat section to prevent rotation.
Sumuhun (thanks -- in Soenda dialect), kang Amuk... Once again I post pics of the blades but without hilt. The pesi (or 'bedor' in your term) of the longer keris is not flat as you mentioned. But round -- though bigger than the normal kerises, even a bit bigger than Balinese blade (but not longer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
The Malays of Sumatra & Peninsula call these dapors as keris Penyalang. Some would simply call them keris Panjang.

BTW, are the hilts original to the blade, or are they much later additions? I never saw this type of hilt in a keris Penyalang / Panjang before.
Dear Penangsang, the hilt belongs to the longer one. It is not ivory, but perhaps old 'duyung' teeth. I got the 'keris panjang' with such hilt (keris Bangkinang in Javanese term -- Bangkinang is a name of a small place in the southwest of Pekanbaru Riau, Sumatera to the direction of Padang, Sumatera Barat. This place, believed to be the 'origin' of such keris model or at least popularized from this place before 19th century). The style of sheath is Palembang, but the wooden "gandar" (blade section sheath) is no more original. Maybe broken, and changed with trembalo wood gandar..
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote