View Single Post
Old 18th June 2012, 06:02 PM   #360
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A Small Landsknecht Messer, Seitenwehr, Hauswehr, early 16th Century

Based on many instances of 15th and 16th c. period artwork, mainly paintings and woodcuts, this type of all-purpose Messer (knife), including employment as both tool and weapon, was part of the basic equipment of foot soldiers, both top and low ranking, Landsknechts (mercenaries) and peasants alike, varying only in quality.

Today, most existing specimen are only preserved as excavated or water finds, and in ruinous condition.

The finest preserved sample I have ever come across was one sold from the Princely Collection of Liechtenstein, Schloss Vaduz, at Christie's, London, November 20, 1991, lot 62, where I bought it. It increased its estimate sevenfold, with renowned dealers and collectors like Geoffrey Jenkinson engaged in the bidding process! Well, I won.

It retained its original natural staghorn grips attached by hollow brass rivets, the trifold pommel in characteristic asymmetric 'bird's head' shape, the blade struck two times with a cross and orb mark which is mostly found on Austrian and South German blades. It was a typical Messerer's (cutler's) work, with the point clearly visible where the hardened edge was fire welded to the (softer) blade.
The lower section of the blade, right above the tip, was struck with a stylyzied Gothic trefoil ornament (Dreipass).

The overall length was 41.9 cm, the length of the blade 30 cm, the maximum blade width 2.9 cm right below the transverse parrying lug which was decorated with Late-Gothic checkered pattern.

As edged weapons are not my domain of collecting, I sold the fine piece a few years ago.

The attached woodcuts:

- by Albrecht Dürer, Three Peasants Talking, ca. 1500

- Johann v. Schwarzenberg, Bambergische Peinliche Halsgerichtsordnung, 1507

Enjoy.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote