View Single Post
Old 9th June 2017, 12:05 PM   #8
CutlassCollector

Default British Boarding Axe with BO mark

There are many examples of boarding axes from the early 19th century that share general features of a crescent shaped blade, side langets and flat sided spike. Col. Rankin describes one in 'Small Arms of the Sea Services, (page 2), as "....British boarding ax of a type frequently used in the American navy". He dates them to 1840-60 and several examples made by Brooks Brothers of Sheffield survive.
Other variations on this pattern include the one held at the Pitt River Museum. I have normally classified this pattern type as private purchase axes.

This axe follows that pattern but has the British Ordnance mark indicating ownership by the government. The spike is distinguished by the downwards curve which is smoothed at the sides to a blunt edge on the upper point. I only know of three examples of this axe and one is I believe still owned by our very own Fernando. The other two are unmarked.

Although little can be inferred from only one example it is likely that the British government at some time purchased at least a batch of these axes. There's not enough information to prove a third Brit model between the early axe and the 1859 model, so for the time being it remains speculation.

Regards CC
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote