View Single Post
Old 8th June 2021, 06:41 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default tulwar hilt forms

I wanted to add the 'Deccani' type tulwar mentioned in my previous post.
This hilt has what is termed 'Persian' style (=shamshir) hilt.
What I would note here is that 'tulwar' is an Indian dialect term for 'sword' in general, so here it is termed tulwar even with this type hilt.
What is interesting here is this one has a British M1788 light cavalry blade, and is an amalgamation likely from East India Co. in Mysore post Seringpatam (1800+).

Next is the most familiar 'Indo-Persian' hilt as seen in the OP form, but here the styling with peaked midrif, squared elongated langet is a type regarded (Pant.1980) as Udaipuri (Udaiper, a city in Rajasthan state), and these probably may be considered mostly Rajput in use, though of course Sikhs and Jains also.
Note the 'stem' in the disc pommel, often associated with the longer stem on khanda/firangi also used by Rajputs (and of course Marathas), west central to northwest India.

Next is the 'Delhishahi' form (Pant, 1980) but without knuckleguard. This may be seen more as Mughal in form and as noted from Delhi in the north,but more eastward. These I have always considered more for 'court' wear, dress occasions.
This one unique in that it has an Osborn (England) 1796 blade, and may well derive again from East India Co. contact and Mughal connections between the south into Delhi in the north.
It is notable that Tipu Sultan of Mysore did have an Indo Persian hilt tulwar now on display in Delhi. Note the koftgari motif and floral pommel disc decoration, as opposed to the radiating geometrics in Rajput forms.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote