View Single Post
Old 26th August 2013, 12:13 AM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
I have, on occasion, seen the nucklebow hilted short sabre, or very similar, described as Persian and even Turkish. Were these misattributions of a type produced only in Afghanistan? or were they also produced and used in other armies of the region?
Best wishes
Richard
Richard, when these first entered the collectibles market (it seems around 20 years ago...I think I got my example around 1999), a few of them appeared in several mail order catalogs with some very odd attributions. I think one was captioned as a 'Greek cutlass'!
Over following years it seems one caption claimed one of these was Spanish and the stamp was of the 'pillars of Hercules'!

These often bizarre attributions have often been seen on numerous ethnographic weapons over the years, and many of them have been properly identified here on these pages, which is in essence why we are here These discussions have all been fascinating, and Dmitry's work here is a perfect example of such outstanding arms study.
As far asI have known, these 'regulation' type swords were only ever produced for use in Afghanistan for use in thier army.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote