Thread: Keris to ID
View Single Post
Old 28th November 2021, 10:11 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conduit View Post
Thank you very much, gentlemen, for your input. I really appreciate it.
My apologies for the images, they are inconvenient to review but this is the way how forum turns them upside down when uploaded.
I will wait for a sunny day to make and add extra images of the blade and the scabbard fit for the further comments.
Hilt is affixed well I would not like to force turn it.
I am a bit confused. AFAIK the site mechanize does not reorient images when you upload. So i don't know how they would have been turned in a direction that they were not originally in.
It's a shame the hilt seems fixed. Sometime uninformed collectors will use epoxy or some other substance to fix hilts in place. That is always a troublesome thing, especially when they orient the hilt incorrectly. But usually this can be solved by applying heat gently to the base of the blade. If indeed this keris is not Madurese, as it now appears, the hilt is incorrect anyway and the overall ensemble would benefit from changing it to a nice planar hilt. So you would want to remove this hilt completely if that were the case. If you follow that course Mr. Maisey can probably advise better than i on your approach. You certainly don't want to damage this hilt as it is a valuable one and ivory can crack and break even easier than wood.
I have attached an image of a more correct style of hilt for this keris.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote