View Single Post
Old 19th July 2021, 10:59 AM   #13
Gustav

Jean, thank you.

I have both works of Jensen, I don't have Tammens vol. 3, I have seen Nr. 2884 in Dresden.

For the hilt form, I would say, not Banten, more likely North coast, perhaps Cirebon. Nr. 2884 is a small blade (about 33 cm), and has lost much of it's material and shape - look at the Wadidang, the strong base of Kembang Kacang (with KK itself almost completely gone), and how thin the blade suddenly becomes abowe it at the first Luk. The sheath is very close or identical to what today would be attributed to Cirebon.

The blades from #1 also are small ones, and we see small blades from Cirebon and Tegal.

Jensen in his book generally attributes the big blades to Banten and Blambangan, shifts some small blades, like Fig. 71 to Cirebon, Fig. 77 to Mataram (which clearly is nonsense), and allows other small blades stay in his Banten classification, like Fig. 52 (blade about 30 cm) and Fig. 64 (about 33 cm).

What I want to say is, possibly we would encounter such hilt in S Sumatra, we possibly would encounter even a sheath form, which today commonly would be attributed to N W Java coast, in S Sumatra, not to speak about blade forms.

But the origin of expansion of these forms most likely will be N W coast of Java.

Last edited by Gustav; 19th July 2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote