Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 18th December 2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Michael, you have really keyed toward the subject of these fascinating, apparantly early Arabian hilt forms the last few years, and it is intriguing to revisit the discussions we have had on them. The example you post here from a recent Sotheby's auction is described as Yemeni and of 19th c.
You have also shown the two great examples of hilts on your swords from Yemen.
In my opinion, the hilt style in the Sothebys example, with its conical pommel seems more like an Omani kattara with its repousse silver clad covering intact.In Elgood, the examples of these early kattara are shown (2.13, 2.15) sans the covering, with the hilts bare structure alone remaining, including the uncovered yet distinctly shaped pommel. These pommels are yet another example of architectural elements represented in those of hilts, with these resembling the conical domes of some minarets on Mosques in my opinion.

Elgood notes that the actual origins of these hilts remain a mystery, but that they are of considerable antiquity seems agreed by scholars, with potential for 17th century,possibly earlier.These may also reflect what may be considered neoclassic or 'revival' Islamic style in reflecting the style of the downward and shouldered guard of Hispano-Moresque jineta of 14th-15th c. and the more stylized versions of these hilts of Mamluk origin c.15th c.

It has been suggested that these swords may be of Central Asian origin as well, and it is worthy of noting the previous mention of the established contact between Yemen and the Emirate of Bukhara. The Yemeni swords of this type often have the diagonally gadrooned silver wire on the scabbards, similar to that seen on Bukharen sword scabbards as one example.

It would seem to me that this example posted with conical pommel is of Omani form, of the early silver clad hilt style which was apparantly superceded by the fully conical guardless style of late 18th into 19th c. (Elgood 2.14).
The spherical pommel hilts as Michael has shown are again neoclassic in recalling the earlier Mamluk style hilts of 15th c.and shown in Yucel, with repousse metal covered hilt, and Yemeni. By the early 20th century these spherical bulb type hilts, still using kattara style broadsword blades, were with Persian style crossguards and short vestigial quillons. They are believed hilted in Yemen in probably San'a or Hadhramaut, and seem to have gone as far as Dubai to the north, emphasizing the established trade diffusion of these weapons.

These are just my own observations from notes, previous discussions and reviewing Elgood. The diffusion of these swords with the complexity of trade throughout the Dar al Islam is difficult to establish with any certainty, but I hope somewhat near correct, and I look forward to other thoughts.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th December 2008 at 03:20 AM.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote