View Single Post
Old 25th March 2005, 06:26 AM   #12
Federico

Mmmm...silver hilted Panabas, I bet there is an awesome blade underneath that scabbard. One thing to note about that picture, seated in the middle is Datu Uto, rightfully the last sultan of Buayan/Maguindanao. He was immensely powerful, as well as wealthy. In the majority of Mindanao period pics, of various datus posing with their followers, that I have seen, I have seldom seen pics of scabbards laden in precious metals. Which highlights the rarity of such pieces as being only affordable/suitable to someone such as Datu Uto, who held off Spanish control of Mindanao effectively till they were forced to leave, despite their modern weaponry. Which is also why I am very very skeptical of many, if not most lavish metal hilted/scabbarded kris that pour out of PI. Beyond the mere limits of those of wealth at the time who could afford such lavishness, were the limits of those who were of the right status to even contemplate bearing such a kris. Ok I sidetracked.

Spunjer, afraid I dont have much to add. My experience with Panabas is very limited, as well as my knowledge of them. Ive heard stories similar to the ones in Cato's book (again even Bob would admit there are errors in there), Panabas that need to be fed regularly on blood or they will seek their own meal, Panabas being held in sacred spots in the homes of royalty as valued pusaka, etc... Also stories of Panabas bearers taking the rear of the line, to "finish up" those who werent quite finished by the first wave of fighters. Nothing too unique, and well alot of it is second hand (eg. I was told this). While I trust the people who told me, I cannot say that someone else may not have more accurate information. Ive also noted, in similar period Mindnanao court pics such as the one Rick posted, you can usually spot one being borne by a warrior, highlighting its role as symbol of State Power. Anyways, if one looks at alot of the more modern ag-based panabas that pop up on ebay, one can easily see a big difference in style/look. One can also see the connection between the evolution of the Panabas. However, its kinda like the garab/talibong. While there is a superficial resemblence to a more modern ag tool, its history as a fighting only weapon is beyond mere looks. Anyways, I suppose this isnt too helpful, but hopefully someone who knows more about Panabas can shed further light.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote