View Single Post
Old 12th January 2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Morobe Province club.

Having stopped collecting and sold a great part of my collection I have just acquired this rather splendid club which I am guessing is most probably Kukukuku or more recently know as Angu people though there are other people of Morobe Province, the Angu were famous for there violent behaviour . I am showing it with one I already had, the one with the dark stone which I think is basalt. The new piece has the light brown colour stone with red and black seeds embedded around the stone. Red crabs eye seeds along with grey Job's tears seeds are used in much Papuan decoration. As you can see from my photos these are not crabs eye seeds being much larger. Do we have an ethnobotanist with us? Can you help ID the seeds? As well as the different stone used the mastic also appears to be different. In the dark stone club small teeth I suspect from Flying Fox / Fruit Bats have been set around the stone in places which I have tried to show and outlined. The thought of a blow to the face is not nice.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote