View Single Post
Old 25th December 2005, 09:53 PM   #15
Jens Nordlunde

Andy, your collection looks impressive. I can’t by far number the same amount of tulwars as you can.
Collectors are a strange lot, they may collect the same things, or within the same area, often for very different reasons, but when it comes to the bottom line, most of the interests are the same.
From where does the weapon origin, if possible within a very narrow area, how did it develop, how old is it, what does the markings mean, why was the tulwar hilt only used in India, and why the katar – these, and a lot of other, far more complicated questions, are what collectors of Indian weapons ask themselves. The list of questions is of course much longer, as you well know, but it all comes down to, that a lot of the answers are long forgotten, and we try to seek the answers. Few of us, if any at all, will likely find the answers alone, and that is why a forum like this is a good place to start exchanging information’s. Your offer is very generous, and should I come to your part of England – I will take you up on the offer - and let you know in good time.

The Indians did indeed have trade stations form the very early times at the east coast of Africa, Zanzibar, Arabia and many other places, just like the Muslims had trade stations at the west coast of India.
I am fairly sure that I have seen the round decorations on hilts from the west coast of India – on Maplah’s(?). So this decoration, like so many others ‘travelled’ around. Jim mentioned the NW frontier, where it is also seen. For some it was only decorative, but for others it had a special meaning.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote