View Single Post
Old 25th December 2005, 10:28 AM   #14
Andy Davis

I wonder why we have to guess!
In a culture that was well advanced enough to write and describe the activities of every day life, history and myth, I wonder why we have to speculate so much over "how the tulwar is held" or just why we have so much difficulty with identification.
It seems to be that we need a proper database, created only from items that do have a accutrate and tracable provinance. Likely to be through museums and the major private collections, from which we can then expand to theories on the other examples. I know im talking in an ideal world! I have European, military issue edged weapons, that nobody can identify either but the data available is far more precise.
Jens, thats exactly why I do have so many in my collection, the fact that I look for even the slightest variation and where my fasination remains. Actually its an addiction but I like to justify it.

By the way, I may have said this before. If anybody ever wants to consult my collection for serious research or general interest and finds their way to the North East of England, I'm always open to guests...with advanced warning etc
Attached Images

Andy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote