View Single Post
Old 15th March 2009, 12:38 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I rather suspect that you may have known of my presence in Solo from sources other than Pak Pus and Pak Yantono. It is indeed a pity that you were unable to make an appointment to meet up with me.

Now, about pelokan.

If this is a word commonly used in Jogja circles, then it is almost certain I would not know it.
Dear Alan,

Yes, it was a pity. Actually I was in Yogya last month to make an appointment to meet my keris friend, Marco Keris -- our Italian keris friend -- and to meet Pak Boedhi Adhitya -- after 'his absence' for two years in UK. And we met there, in Yogya...

About "pelokan" again. I've checked it again to a very well-known Yogyanese warangka maker, Pak Wusanto -- yes, he's well-known too among the Yogya Kraton keris circle -- that yes, this word pelokan exists in Yogya, at least in daily colloquial word to mention the upper part of Yogya gayaman warangka.

But he even doesn't know, that the upper part of warangka called as "atasan". Is it common in Solo too? AFAIK, in our (Javanese) daily life, the word "atasan" means our "bosses". My boss in office, for instance, is "my atasan". Never I heard before, the upper part of warangka called as "atasan"...

In many cases, there are sometimes differences between Solo and Yogya if we speak on keris world -- although they are separated only not more than 65 kms apart. A 'beautiful difference' for me, as a Solonese born, but admire the simpleness of Yogya culture...

Thank you, Alan, again for your kind attention...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote