View Single Post
Old 14th March 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

I thank you for your detailed and comprehensive response, Pak Ganja.

I rather suspect that you may have known of my presence in Solo from sources other than Pak Pus and Pak Yantono. It is indeed a pity that you were unable to make an appointment to meet up with me.

Now, about pelokan.

If this is a word commonly used in Jogja circles, then it is almost certain I would not know it.

I have followed your lead and had a look at "Keris Jawa", and yes, you're right, there is a form listed therein that bears that name. I probably do not spend enough time in looking at keris books. I read Keris Jawa through when I bought it, but I doubt that I have opened it twice since then. Undoubtedly Pak Haryoguritno found people in Solo who used the names that he listed, or perhaps he drew upon an old reference, however, what I do know is this:- I have never heard anybody in Solo use pelokan in association with a warangka, and when I encountered your use of it, I then asked several people if they knew the word in this connection, and none did.The people I asked were all keris connected:- blade makers, dealers, and a tukang wrongko who is the grandson of one of the greats.

I find this sort of thing very interesting. It is not only a characteristic of the keris world, but seems to permeate Javanese society.Language is a wonderful mirror of a society.

I thank you again Pak Ganja for adding to my education, in more ways than one.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 14th March 2009 at 10:55 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote