Thread: Sliding weights
View Single Post
Old 9th July 2005, 05:22 AM   #54
Rivkin

1. With given definitions the center of gravity and the center of inertia will be the same.

2. If its possible, I would really like to see the formula they use for sword's frequency as a function of length (do they consider it a string ? a thin and long prism ?).

3. Concerning tang not being a b.c., or even a separate body, I would prefer to hold a vastly different opinion.

4. Concerning waves propagating in swords and nodes - propagating waves usually do not have nodes. When people talk about nodes, they usually speak about standing waves, i.e. steady state solutions etc.
I suspect that the logic was that if sword can be considered a string, than a full wavelength standing wave will have a node in the middle, but it will basically be true only for even halfwavelengths mode... Plus I'm really too lazy to calculate the modes of a string with a variable mass, so I don't know how big percentage of the waves will have nodes at the center of mass.

5. Concerning the center of percussion - as far as I remember (and I remember it very poorly), the center of percussian is when you hit it, all the momentum is transfered into the rotation movement of the sword, without any daggling down or up.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote