View Single Post
Old 15th December 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Mark, and also that this photo is far from adequate, we have no idea of size, blade fullering etc. any marks.
The pommel is British 18th century about 1760s-80s usually seen on the four slot cavalry horseman sword hilts (Mark you know Neumann well!)
Good analogy on the sheet steel guards also, they became in vogue in England and Austria with cavalry sabres around mid19th c. and the huge bowl guards of the Patton and the British M1908, along with Spanish versions.
Without better images I think Marks suggestion of one off type private purchase of early19th c. is most plausible pending further examination.
The single edge cavalry backsword and olive shape pommel of latter 18th century may have ended up being used in colonial circumstances.
I recall the Spanish colonial espadas with large shellguard and often straight blades that ended up being Brazilian first half 19th c. This could be an ersatz version of one of those. I have one with a late 18th century British blade, lending credence to the use of obsolete British components, known to have often been the case in this period. Most of the arms used by the Mexican army were British then.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote