View Single Post
Old 20th April 2017, 07:28 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Jim, That is a very excellent ethnographic gem to add to Library where it will sit well for future researchers and enthusiasts.
I was interested to learn that a sort of rifle butt concoction was fashioned by warriors copied it seems from a European rifle but some discussion arises as to its origin; ..The Gunstock Club, it is argued, may even have developed from the tribes admiration for the power of the rifle and thus developed a weapon from an obviously admired powerful item ..It appears that steel blades were inserted into handmade stock and butt arrangements ...and another school of thought considers that warriors may have seen the firearm swung by the barrel and the net effect it had as a club weapon.. and copied the concept in shortened form.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim, thank you for adding the detail on these other very well known war clubs, the 'gunstock' form. I recall first noticing these in the movie "Last of the Mohicans" (1992) with Russell Means, and Daniel Day-Lewis. I was curious at whether these were indeed made from old colonial gun stocks, and after my usual foray into contacting many sources, I ended up talking with the guy in Tennessee who actually made the ones used in the movie (there were 5). I then checked with Norm Flayderman, who told me these were never made from old stocks, just shaped like them. I don't recall most of the outcome, but I think your observations are pretty compelling on how this shape was arrived at.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote