View Single Post
Old 14th January 2023, 04:05 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando. It would seem that the idea the idea Valentino might have placed these weapons on display as props to augment masculinity was most definitely misplaced. In various sources, I found that after Valentino's death, his estate was auctioned Dec. 10,1926 at Hall of Art Studios, Hollywood and administered by his close friend and confidante S.George Ullman.
The catalogs of this sale are rare but several have been sold in recent years.
Several of the swords are included, one of which is listed as a Masonic Knights Templar sword (lot #615).

While this is not 'antique' , it is actually a Knights of Pythias sword (the FCB acrostic for their motto). It seems quite possible Valentino might have been awarded this by the local lodge, the Damon Lodge, #338, Hollywood.

In "Valentino as I Knew Him" (George Ullman, 1926) it is noted that Valentino and his wife traveled to Europe in 1924 and bought props for their upcoming movie "The Hooded Falcon" which was to be set in 14th c. Spain.
While these included clothing and other antique items, I would presume there was weaponry as well. This movie ended up not being made.

In this same book, Ullman notes, "...if a reporter showed any interest in the armor or firearms of which the Valentino collection is sui generis (=of its own kind), here once more his showmanship came into evidence. Not only did he possess specimens of every sort of sword, cuirass,spear, dart, javelin, assegai and what not, but firearms from the most ancient make down to the latest Colt were his. And if you thought the carving upon an ancient sword blade was inexplicable or unknown to Rudolph Valentino, all you had to do to correct your impression was the question him. With a flow of words in the careful English which many foreigners require, he would explain to you, not only the carvings significance, but in all probability, an historical sketch of the man who made it".

His mansion, named 'Falcons Lair', for the movie "The Hooded Falcon" was carefully appointed with antique furnishings which lent to his genuine Italian ancestry, and now, as I have found..........the antique arms which were in panoply on the walls and various displays, were genuine, and he clearly was discerning and knew the history of them.

It would be difficult to determine what became of these weapons after dispersed into private collections after auction. As a discerning collector it is doubtful that any weapons intended for use in films that were not genuine antiques would be of interest to him. Clearly antique weapons would have been acquired by other studios much in the manner Valentino sought them for his movie.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote