View Single Post
Old 13th January 2023, 07:44 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Your assumption is obviously correct, Jim. While it is possible (read probable) that some items in his collection were brought from studio prop stores, there is no doubt that the ones (all ?) listed in the auction catalogue were tagged as being authentic ... and from early periods. The Persian shield, sold for a good figure (circa $ 8.000), the not so old Knights of Pythias silver sword, a few rapiers from the 17th century, one signed by a famous Toledo master, you name it.
With a bit of patience one may browse the catalogue and confirm that the items at auction were the real thing.
Even his personal utilities had a collector's touch.

Best
Fernando
Thank you so much Fernando for these notes and links. Actually I am still searching for more detail on movie props in the early studios, and there is a frightening dearth of attention to any weaponry that might have existed.
Most of the attention is to costumes and 'gadgetry' in sets.

I had always had the notion that Valentino had acquired these swords from movie props he either got from films he appeared in or had access to or association with. He was, of course, as many of the male leading actors, quite involved in fencing, which was part of general training. When I took fencing many years ago, the class was designated 'stage combat' which was of course very much aligned with the type of activity they would have learned.

However, in research I have found that Valentino had some issues with men challenging his masculinity, and that led to that extra masculine atmosphere he wished to be appointed in his mansion. It was the decorator(s) who acquired the antique arms and swords which were displayed, and in those days these were readily available and not particularly expensive. Even early rapiers could be obtained for remarkably low prices.

Those were the days!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote