View Single Post
Old 30th October 2008, 06:22 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In checking further in "Armi Bianche Italiene" (L.Boccia & E. Coelho, 1975, Milan), there is further confirmation of these deep stamped markings as seen on the forte (termed 'twig marks' by Sir James Mann, in "Wallace Collections"). These occur in groupings, or singly (also noted Mann, p.255), and are noted as commonly on Italian blades.
While these markings do go back to the early 16th century in some cases, and into the early 17th on rapier blades, these heavier blades are more found on swords such as the schiavona 17th, through the 18th century. Perhaps This blade may be of that period.

The cross and orb, as noted, is taken from both Italian and German versions of 16th and 17th century. The roughly inscribed example on this blade takes the line of the cross through the circle entirely...contrary to most European markings where the line stops halfway at the midpoint of the orb. Again, this simply suggests native application.

I cannot be certain of the script on the blade, but it does appear to be either Ge'ez or very close (to my linguistically untrained eye ) , and I would defer to our linguists on that. I could only identify one repeated letter or fidel which seems Amharic.

The embossed work on the scabbard mounts and hilt resembles some Yemeni weapons I have seen , and contact between these regions and Ethiopia is seen in the influences of a number of swords motif and blades.

Some interesting potential with this one and I hope we get the chance to follow it.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote