View Single Post
Old 5th June 2016, 06:24 PM   #9
kai

Cool

Quote:
I think that with one rigging rod these have been used for a better grip in hand to hand fighting. Would 2 rods be for a better grip and support?
I do like Jose's idea! 1 or 2 rods would add positive kinaesthetic control for the orientation of the blade. However, I'd expect the edges to better be in line with the grip (as in holding a sword) rather than horizontal as suggested in this case.
Also if this were an important advantage, wouldn't one expect to see it more often than in a one-off example?

IMVHO, it seems like overkill to fix loose lower ferrule sections (if any) this way: It doesn't look like a makeshift repair and could be done/restored more nicely back home (considering this was a status piece and not a basic run-of-the-mill budiak).

A spear with damaged tang socket or ferrule at its base needs a really sound repair for the heavy spearhead tang being stable (without risk of breaking loose in a fight). While we have seen native repairs for Moro pieces holding up well, this does seem a bit of a stretch to me...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote