View Single Post
Old 26th September 2010, 02:40 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Thilo,
Interesting views concerning perspective on the use of the term 'eisenhauer' on German blades, as an apparant mark of quality implying the 'ability to cut iron'.
As you have noted, linguistically it is often difficult to analyze these terms as they occur on sword blades as they seem to be of antiquated vernacular or similarly idioms with the contemporary meaning long lost. As with trying to evaluate or comprehend early metaphoric use of terms in literature or contemporary narrative, often we can only presume or speculate.

As we have discussed, the specific use of the term 'eisenhauer' as far as can be determined did not appear in that form and on sword blades until most likely late in the first quarter of the 19th century. We do know that the prefix 'eisen' is of course the modern German spelling of the Middle High German 'isen' (=iron). The Middle High German term 'houwan' apparantly meant 'to hew' , which of course is known to mean to cut with blows of a heavy cutting instrument. Whether the term might have had its spelling altered is of course a matter of further speculation, but the change to 'er' might have been used in descriptive sense of the object. I'm obviously no linguist so that is of course assumption on my part.

The reference you note of course by the Brothers Grimm, was I believe compiled in the 1830s, and at which time the term hauer of course was probably not joined with 'eisen' in the parlance we are discussing for use on blades, as it appears to not yet have been in use. The closest evidence we have for its use perhaps earlier is the sabres that Dmitry has shown, and it is difficult to state for certain that they do not date into the 1820s or 30s, despite the evidence noted.

We do know that by 1884, a Victorian reference notes a formidable German blade by this term, "...as the modern German 'eisenhauer' hews through the iron of a fence". It would appear by then to be an idiom used to herald the powerful quality of a German blade. References in Bezdek and Walter on German swords note the 'eisenhauerklinge' (iron cutting blade) as mentioned in post #8.

Since catalogs, references and directories do not appear to list a maker named Eisenhauer, and with the descriptive and as noted, apparantly occupational nature of the term, I think we can safely presume it must be a marketing and quality claiming device or brand type term as might be expected in these commercially competitive times.

As for the well known 'Ulfberht' on the famed 9th century blades, it seems generally accepted that rather than being a makers name, it is more likely an idiomatic term signifying a warrior. The word appears not only on the Frankish blades but also on crucible steel examples of blade produced to the east and marketed to the Rus (A. Williams). The practice of pronouncement of quality and strength on sword blades has been well known into the earliest times, and most understandable as a warriors life often depended on his blade.

Although of course we cannot pronounce conclusively these known factors prove that either eisenhauer, or ulfbehrt, or as previously mentioned; Andrea Ferara, Sahagum, or others were terms rather than names...I believe that the evidence suggests that they were.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 26th September 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote